Purchase OIOpublisher now for just $47.

Take control of your ad space.

Click here to purchase

• CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2007 edited

Project Admin

This is really a pre-cursor to the main event, since I have yet to start up any sustained advertising for the site (too busy making sure it all works perfectly first!). However, a couple of ideas I've had for further increasing the flexibilty of the hosted / plugin versions of OIOpublisher Direct:

- multiple payment processor options / IPNs (need suggestions on which to use?)
    - bidding wars option, let people bid for links on specific pages or posts
    - other ad type management (banners? custom services?)

If you have an idea, or a comment on my suggestions above, add your thoughts here. :)

Need help?  Quick start guide | Troubleshooting | All help topics
    • CommentAuthorOptional
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2007

Payment processors: Ebullion, Egold, Alertpay etc (in that order) plus at least one that offers entry level merchant accounts like http://www.authorize.net/ or http://www.nochex.com/

Although I'd be just as happy if we were able to enter whatever payment instructions we like and have that sent to the buyer... and just manually mark it as received.

Bidding Wars: I think bid price based directories have had their day personally. Although bidded adspots do seem to work well on sites like MOG by the looks.

Other ad types: Maybe you could add a free form field or two so people can easilly add whatever custom option they like. If we have to choose, selling email and banner ad spots would be useful

• CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2007

Project Admin

I'm sure I could put in a manual option for payments at some point, although I think adding more automated processor payments should come first. When I get round to some real advertising, I'll put a poll up to see which processors people want most.

The bidding wars idea probably has more of a place at the upper end of the blogging spectrum, since its the high traffic pages that could really benefit from either an indefinite, or fixed term bidding cycle for places. I do want to try and bring some people away from sites like TLA or ReviewMe eventually, and this is one feature that could help. Ambitious sure, but you've got to aim high to succeed.

I think you're right with the free field form ad types. Going into banner management placement (especially when moving beyond wordpress) could be a headache, and email slots are pretty much manual anyway. That way, people can offer whatever custom service they like, which brings increased flexibility.

One other thing I will be doing, is to add public user profiles into the mix (of course with the option to remove things like what listings they have). It's part of a new extension to the site that goes beyond direct revenue generation for bloggers - but could be equally as beneficial.

• CommentAuthorDNseo
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2007 edited

The free field form ad type would give much more flexibility to the seller. Also a getaway for a third party merchant would be a good diea, authorize.net 2checkout.com (which should be pretty much easy to do, they give all necessary variables).

I got just one question tho, how in the world can i set the title that it holds the links, the <h2> tag is empty *_*

• CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2007 edited

Project Admin

"I got just one question tho, how in the world can i set the title that it holds the links, the <h2> tag is empty"

Is this using the widgets sidebar menu, or adding in the menu manually? I'm going to take a guess the widgets option. If you open up index.php in the oiopub-direct folder, and find the functions called:

oiopub_sidebar_purchase($args='')
    oiopub_sidebar_links($args='')

You can edit the $title variables to display whatever you want it to. Thanks for pointing that out, I need to add in a widget editing function.

Btw, I totally agree with the free form option, and the merchant account option. They will be coming up in a future version.