Purchase OIOpublisher now for just $47.

Take control of your ad space.

Click here to purchase

• CommentAuthorpeterhier
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2010

Hi,
    I am having great difficulty getting this to work at all. I have uploaded it to my Wordpress site and started to play around with Banner ad configuration but I am getting the IOI image as in the attachment in every post. I dont seem able to get any banner ads at all into posts/categories except this, which even when I disable the Zones stays there!I have tried adding a zone for banners within specific categories but nothing appears.
    Could someone also tell me what the widgets OIOpub Ad slots, OIOpub Banner Zones and OIOpub AD Badge are to be used for?

Need help?  Quick start guide | Troubleshooting | All help topics
    • CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2010 edited

Project Admin

I think the best way to approach this is for you to tell me what your goals are (ie. what advertising you want and where you want to put it on your website), then I can tell you what's possible, what's not, and how best to accomplish it.

I'd also recommend clicking on the "uninstall" button in the Settings section of the OIO admin (and removing any widgets / changes to your templates you might already have made). That's only a suggestion, but it is sometimes good to start with a clean slate when confused.

• CommentAuthorpeterhier
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2010

Hi Simon,
    I have 2 sidebars on my Wordpress site and I want 2 Zones in each, one above the other: 1 to carry a 120x600 ad and the other to carry 4 vertically stacked 125x125 ads. I then wish to place ads in specific categories as advertisers are asking if their ads can be placed alongside sepcific articles.
    Kind Regards
    Peter

• CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2010 edited

Project Admin

As you have multiple sidebars, my first recommendation would be to install this Wordpress plugin. It allows you to execute php code in your sidebar widgets, which is useful since OIO only provides one banner ad widget by default (whereas you'll need to place 4 zones in your sidebar).

Next up, go to the Settings -> Banner Ads section of the OIO admin area and define 4 ad zones. Then go through each zone one by one and input the appropriate settings:

Two 120x600 zones:

Rows: 1
    Cols: 1
    Ad Width: 120
    Ad Height: 600

Two 125x125 zones:

Rows: 1
    Cols: 4
    Ad Width: 125
    Ad Height: 125

You can also give each zone a unique name and set prices for each zone. You should now have the basic setup for each zone in place.

The final stage is to place the 4 zones into your sidebar(s). You should see at the top of each ad zone settings page a green section containing both php and javascript ad code. For each zone, copy the php code into a 'php' widget. You'll end up with 2 zones in each sidebar.

We can deal with categories once you've confirmed the above is setup correctly.

• CommentAuthorpeterhier
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010

All Done! Many, many thanks. If you can just explain the categories now I will be one very satisfied customer!!
    Peter

• CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010 edited

Project Admin

To turn on categories, all you need to do is go to the admin settings page for each zone and find the "Use Wordpress Categories" option. Once set to 'yes', you'll be able to assign an ad to a category.

Ads will then only display if:

* someone views the corresponding category page
    * someone views a post that is also assigned that category
    * the current page has no categories attached to it (eg. home page)

• CommentAuthorpeterhier
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010

Thanks,
    I have sub categories, for instance-
    HEALTH
    - Common Injuries
    - Running While Pregnant
    - Nutrition
    The category is Haelth if I put that as me category will the ad show in the sub cats as well?
    Also how do I get the ad to show? Do I use the code at the top of the page?
    Peter

• CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010 edited

Project Admin

If an ad is marked as "nutrition", it will appear in both the nutrition and health categories. This is because, logically speaking, a child category is also its parent (ie. nutrition is a part of health). If an ad is marked as "health", it is not necessarily anything to do with nutrition and therefore will not appear in the nutrition category.

All this means is that you should categorise the ad as specifically as possible. If you can't categorise an ad as being related to nutrition, it shouldn't be displaying there anyway.

-------

You shoudln't need to use the ad code at the top of the page, since you've already used that code to setup your ad zones in your sidebars. All you have to do to show an ad is attach it to a zone. You can do that in one of two ways:

1.) The default ads section at the bottom of each zone's admin settings page (note that the image will already need to be uploaded to the web to use this method).

2.) The "Purchases" section of the admin area will let you put ads into the system as though they were actual purchases (so if you want things like stats tracking or automatic ad expiration, use this method).

• CommentAuthorpeterhier
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2010

I am obviously doing something very silly as I get absolutely nothing showing at all. I have articles in the nutrition Category and nothing shows in any of these and yet I have followed your previous email to the letter.
    Sorry to be such a pain!

• CommentAuthorpeterhier

I have attached a screen capture of the Zone Admin page for your information

• CommentAuthorSimon

Project Admin

The settings look correct from what I can see.

The first thing to do would be to go to a page where zone 6 is setup to display and remove the category association from the default ad. Then check to see whether the ad appears on the page or not - then we'll know if it's a category specific problem or something more general.

• CommentAuthorpeterhier

Yes I tried that and no matter what I do nothing appears at all

• CommentAuthorSimon

Project Admin

And you've definitely added zone 6 to one of your sidebars? Can you link me to a page where zone 6 is added so I can check it?

• CommentAuthorpeterhier

Simon,
    I must apologise but I have obviously not understood this at all. I thought that the ad went INSIDE the post but am I correct in saying that they do in fact appear in the sidebar? I really do not understand what to do with categories or where the ad will appear. I really do appreciate the time you have spent on me but if you could explain step by step exactly what I need to do to get these ads into the appropriate category I would be extremely grateful.

• CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2010 edited

Project Admin

I've created a small plugin (called inpost zone) to insert a zone into your posts automatically. To use this extra plugin, you'll need to:

* Download the attachment and unzip it
    * Open the php file and configure it
    * Upload the php file to your Wordpress 'plugins' directory
    * Activate it from the Wordpress admin area (OIO Inpost Zone)

The zone should then show up in posts. By default, it will display banner ad zone #1 in "single" posts only (all configurable).

• CommentAuthorpeterhier
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2010

Simon,
    I cant thank you enough for the "over and above the call of duty" support that you have given to me. It is very much appreciated. I will put into action everything you say in your previous post and will let you know how I get on.
    Very Kind Regards
    Peter

• CommentAuthorpeterhier

Simon,
    when I installed your plugin and used it it worked perfectly! The major problem I have now is that since I installed it it is totally messing up my posts: everytime I go to edit a post and then click on "Publish" the scree goes blank and the edit is not saved. Any action I need to do on a post I get the same response. I have deactivated the plugin and everything works fine I am using WP 2.9.1
    Regards
    Peter

• CommentAuthorSimon

Project Admin

Can you try re-downloading the attachment once more. I've stopped the plugin from executing when using the admin area, which should hopefully stop that issue.

• CommentAuthorpeterhier

Hi Simon,
    I have just done that and have tested it with the Ad Zone 6 enabled. It worked fine - I have edited several posts and everything is OK. Thank you once again for all your help.
    Regards
    Peter

• CommentAuthorpeterhier
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2010

Hi Simon,
    I have just noticed that ad spaces are showing up in my pages also even though nothing has been desgnated.
    Peter