Purchase OIOpublisher now for just $47.

Take control of your ad space.

Click here to purchase

• CommentAuthordhilm001
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2010 edited

Hi, I'm very interested in buying this as it looks ideal for my needs. I really want to serve a different ad or series of ads on each page, so the ads would become blog or page specific. I'd like to offer some sort of 'sponsor space' for each user's profile or blog page.

Our site is built on WP but we're building in Buddypress and MU to host ads on. Can you let me know if what I want to do is possible with OIO? I'm aware I could end up with thousands of different advertisers, but that's part of the idea :-)

Thanks.

Need help?  Quick start guide | Troubleshooting | All help topics
    • CommentAuthorSimon

Project Admin

A brief explanation is the "subid" customisation option

The issue has always been that if you wanted different ads to appear on different pages / areas of the site, you'd need to create identical ad zones for each area. Whilst that's generally fine for broad areas of the site, the more different areas you have, the less practical it becomes.

I've therefore added a new parameter to the ad zone customisation options that will let you define a subID when displaying a zone.

When placing an ad zone somewhere on a page, I could use a sub ID that equates to (for example) the current blog ID:

<?php
    if(function_exists('oiopub_banner_zone')) {
    //allows access to the blog ID variable from anywhere
    global $blog_id;
    //the ID of the OIO ad zone to display
    $zone_id = 1;
    //ad zone options (including the subid)
    $options = array(
    'position' => "center",
    'subid' => $blog_id,
    );
    //this code displays the ad zone itself
    oiopub_banner_zone($zone_id, $options);
    }
    ?>

Now for every different blog I visit, the sub ID will be different. If I make a purchase from that ad zone, the sub ID will be appended to the purchase link and get recorded in the database. Only ads with a matching sub ID will be displayed.

NB: $blog_id is only an example. You could use any grouping you want, such as the individual page url, a category ID or a WordPress post ID. It's up to you how you segment areas of the site.

• CommentAuthordhilm001
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2010

Wow, this is fantastic! Exactly what I'm looking for.

Don't worry about the user, this will be made clear to them and if anything it will be more of a selling point and way of keeping their ad cost down. Also if the user is sponsoring a specific blog, then this works so much better.

I'm guessing then that OIO is fine to use across BP and MU? I'd like to use it across both of them but we are installing BP first.
    Thanks so much for your help though, we'll definitely be using this in the next few weeks :)

• CommentAuthorSimon

Project Admin

The only thing to bear in mind is that you can't install it as a global plugin (ie. in the mu-plugins directory), since it wasn't designed for WPMU.

You could install it as a normal plugin on just one blog, but I'd actually recommend installing OIO as a standalone app and then integrating it with WPMU via the addons plugin. It will then work across all blogs, without giving individual blog owners access to it.

• CommentAuthordhilm001
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2010

Ok, we'll integrate it properly if it will work more effectively for us. Thanks for the information and for building a fantastic plugin, I hope you continue to do well through it :-)

• CommentAuthorjwates
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2011

I looked at this post before I bought OIO and thought great this is what I want, but I'm now a little confused and think I may have miss understood something, so I wonder if you could help me!

We are creating a Wordpress site for a client who wants to add advertising banners to the pages, we want to be able to add different banners to different pages or even posts in the site. So the home page may run a selection of 5 rotating banners and the about us page may run a different set of banners and so on... Is this something I can do with OIO?

I really hope it is as what I have seen so far looks great. We don't need users to be able to add and pay for banners yet, we will add them all for the client when they sell them!

I have added the three zones I need to the site and that works really well and I have added the code above to allow for a Sub ID. I then thought, well when I add a banner there will be somewhere for me to tell the page what banners to display, but as yet can't see how to do that!

Any advice or help would be really appreciated!

Cheers

• CommentAuthorSimon

Project Admin

I think I see the problem - you're trying to add the subID via the admin area, when creating / updating a purchased ad?

If that's the case, it should be resolved now. Try downloading the latest code, then upload the following files again:

* /include/purchase.php
    * /templates/core/purchase_edit.tpl

Then try and add the subID from the admin area. Let me know if that does the trick for you.

• CommentAuthorjwates

Hi Simon, thank you for your reply... I have previously downloaded the latest version, but haven't yet got to the admin area after completing a purchase.

Is it possible to use the plugin without the purchase element? So that I could add banners whenever I want rather than letting other users do so. This way when my client sells an add I can just upload it... in this case we dont want just anyone being able to buy banners on the site??

In the meantime I will buy a banner and test the SubID in the admin site

Cheers again
    Julian

• CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2011 edited

Project Admin

Sorry, I should have made it clear that a "purchase" can be added via the admin area, and doesn't actually have to be purchased by an advertiser.

You'll need to download the files I mentioned again (even if you've already got v2.40) in order to add a subid via the admin area. You can't use subids with default ads, it needs to be done by creating a purchase manually in the admin area.

In summary, the process is:

1.) Use the subid feature in the ad zone output code (which I think you've already done). The subid must be unique for every different page or group of pages you want to place ads on.

2.) Create a "purchase" manually in the admin area (Purchases -> Create new purchase), using the subid that matches the page or group of pages you want the ad to display on.

3.) Ensure the "purchase" is set to 'active' and 'paid for', so that the ad will display on the site (without any payment needed).

After these steps have been carried out, the ad should only display in the ad zone if the subid used in the output code matches what you've used for the ad.

• CommentAuthorjwates

OK great I will try that now and let you kno whow I get on... cheers

• CommentAuthorjwates

Hi Simon, OK I have downloaded and added the files and now added a banner to the site... I do however have a a few additional and probably stupid questions!

1. What exactly is the Blog ID that I need to add? Is this the page name or the last part of the permalink... so for example ?page_id=2 ???

2. The image also isn't displaying. I am running WordPress on a Windows server [which I know can cause problems!] and the error is an IIS one... do you think there is an issue with running your plugin on a windows server??

Thanks again for your help

• CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2011 edited

Project Admin

For #1, what you need to understand is that the variable I used in the example - $blog_id - is just that, an example. What you actually use will be entirely dependent on what you want to achieve.

For example, do you want every single page on WordPress to contain different ads (which would mean every page would need a unique subid)? Or do you want there to be "groupings" - such as only posts / pages having a unique subid, and other pages not?

Only once you know what the exact groupings are, can we choose the most appropriate subid values for your particular situation.

For #2, I haven't heard of any IIS problems for a while now, but it could be the case. What's the error you're seeing?

• CommentAuthorjwates
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2011

Ok brilliant...

Yes in this case all posts and pages potentially could have different banners. Realistically the top level pages and some of the key posts or categories would be easier to sell banners for... with any left blank using a default banner.

I get an IIS password issue, but I will talk to my server admin about that, I can move the site to a linux box if required.

Hopefully me asking all these questions will help others!!

Cheers

• CommentAuthorfanaticweb
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2011 edited

I was going to start a new thread related to this topic but since its already an open one, might as well discuss it here (pls move it if need be).

Is it possible to use custom names for the Zone ID's calling instead of the digits assigned to them by default?

Reason being, I have multiple Zone IDs across multiple Blog_ID's distributed on different websites.

On the long run, it wont be obvious to remember where those Zone_IDs are located (Header, footer, Sidebar, etc) on a given site, unless I got this whole customization approach wrong.

As far as the customization goes, this is what I understood so far:

I'm setting up one central ad purchase site (standalone) using the latest OIO v2.50 (Some great upgrades by the way) that will allow users to purchase ads on external sites (mostly wordpress based).

Following the customisation code, I went into one of the WP blogs, and replaced the following code:

<!-- OIO top header banner 728 x 90 -->
    <?php if(function_exists('oiopub_banner_zone')) oiopub_banner_zone(1, 'right'); ?>

With this one:
    <?php if(function_exists('oiopub_banner_zone')) {
    //allows access to the blog ID variable from anywhere
    global $name_of_domain;
    //the ID of the ad zone to display
    $zone_id = 1;
    //ad zone options (including the subid)
    $options = array(
    'position' => "right",
    'subid' => $name_of_domain,
    );
    //this code displays the ad zone itself
    oiopub_banner_zone($zone_id, $options);
    }
    ?>

From what I understand, this should allow the advertisers to purchase ads from my main standalone site targeting the WP site at $name_of_domain.

Question
    How do i go by declaring this ad spot from the standalone site? As in how do I define the Global ID to target this specific website from the standalone site, and how do I target the specific Ad zone?

Meanwhile, since I had already setup OIO on each individual WP site, I would need to go back and remove those slots in order to allow the ones coming from the Standalone site to take over?

Hope this scenario made sense, I really need to narrow this approach down and compare the end results, whether I should stick to deploying OIO separately on each site or use this central advertising approach from a standalone install.

Personally I think that with the Standalone central advertising, there are advantages (less hassle when it comes to upgrades) but what would be the disadvantages should this actually work.

• CommentAuthorSimon

Project Admin

Does this relate at all to the other discussion (using subid to let authors place ads in their own posts), or is this a completely separate issue?

I also want to make sure I understand your exact requirements (as subid might not be necessary, depending on what you want):

* Manage all advertising from a single installation of OIO?
    * All sites in the network (as well as OIO) on the same server?
    * Use the same ad zone 'template' (format, size etc) on all sites in the network?
    * Show completely different ads on each site in the network (no overlapping)?

• CommentAuthorfanaticweb

I wouldnt call this an issue since Its more of a deployment inquiry, maybe its not the right thread and I should've created a new one, hence inviting you to move it if need be.

Manage all advertising from a single installation of OIO?
    Thats what I'm trying to accomplish, I think you even suggested this approach in some thread at some point.

All sites in the network (as well as OIO) on the same server?
    Yes they are all on a dedicated Php5 based server, different database of course per site.

Use the same ad zone 'template' (format, size etc) on all sites in the network?
    Yes pretty much 90% of the Ad zones, types, sizes and templates will be the same, if need be, I can always squeeze in a custom template in extreme situations relying on the within OIO install per site but thats not a concern for now.

Show completely different ads on each site in the network (no overlapping)?
    As we speak, OIO is installed on each one of those sites and working great while occupying each one of those already established ID zones (Header, sidebar, footer, etc.)

If I push the central advertising, it would be an add-on pushed from the Alpha standalone site into those exiting sites where I will create Seperate slots exclusively for that purpose only, in other words, this will be controlled differently and exclusively through the Alpha standalone site and targeting NEW ID zones dedicated to it.

I dont know if OIO can actually check within the external site and interact to see if a slot within an existing ID Zone is already occupied and update accordingly? Is this what you meant by overlapping? That would avoid creating additional ID zones and focus on the existing ones, hence why I would opt to create new ID Zones.

Bottom line, I'm trying to offer cost effective advertising targeting multiple sites based on the niche and category of the user's choice, hence why I'm looking for a way to easily distinguish one ID zone from another, so far, I simply added the Domain name in front of the Ad purchase options, which helps a bit and allows the user to know on which site the ad will get pushed.

Example of a purchase slot found on the alpha standalone site:
    domain_name footer 728x90

• CommentAuthorSimon

Project Admin

I think the most straight forward option for the centralised setup would be the following...

Create different ad zones for each site in the network, using the central OIO install. Prefix each zone name with the domain (or site name), as you've started doing. Place each ad zone on the appropriate site. Don't worry about subid, since each site will have its own set of ad zones.

The one issue I can think of relates to how you display the ad zones. In the example above, you used php code, which would only work if both of the conditions below were met:

* You performed a php integration of the central site with the others sites.
    * The other sites didn't already have a 'local' OIO install (the two would conflict).

The options would therefore seem to be:

1.) Display ads from the central OIO install using javascript, instead of php (recommended).

2.) Remove the 'local' OIO installs and integrate everything with the central site, using php.

Alright so I tried this so far, please correct me if I'm wrong or missed a step:

Central site:
    OIO installed as Standalone
    Ad zones created with the site name as a prefix for each one
    Code generated for the test ad zone:

PHP Output Code:
    <?php if(function_exists('oiopub_banner_zone')) oiopub_banner_zone(2, 'center'); ?>

Javascript Output Code:
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://test_site_a.com/advertise/js.php?type=banner&align=center&zone=2"></script>

Test site A:
    No OIO installed on it
    Integrated the JavaScript Output code generated from the Central site into the header.php file of the theme:
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://test_site_a.com/advertise/js.php?type=banner&align=right&zone=2"></script>

Results: I'm only seeing the default ad display holder and not the Banner of the advertiser (Did a self test) no matter how many times I refreshed the page and its pointing back to the central advertising page as indicated.

I went back and changed the Default Ads Display Method to Fill in empty ad spaces only thinking it might be a glitch with the Weighted ad rotation, to no avail.

Going back in the Banner Ad management of the Central site, I can see the ad is approved and marked Paid.
    Also, 1 less slot is available for that Ad Zone when going back to the Central Advertising page, so that means it was taken in consideration but not pushed out properly on the external site.

Any idea what could be the issue so far?

• CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2011

Project Admin

Hmmm it does sound correct. I just ran a quick test on OIO 2.50 to check whether there might be a bug with displaying ads using javascript, but it seemed to work ok.

Wsa your test purchase definitely in zone 2?

If you can't work it out, you can always send me admin login details for the central standalone install and I'll check it out.

Yes it was, I double checked again just to make sure, besides, the default banner wouldnt be showing up if that wasnt the case, no?

I'll email you the details.