Purchase OIOpublisher now for just $47.

Take control of your ad space.

Click here to purchase

I've got a website running on wordpress. The nature of my website is such that many of my topics are not related, so someone would not want a site wide advertisement. What they would want was a link on a certain page or set of pages related to their niche or business.

So, I think I can setup a 'zone' for each topic, then sell 10 links for that page only. Now I could have several hundred zones. When someone goes to purchase they'll have to look through a couple hundred zones to find their topic.

Essentially, I want to have a section on each page/topic where a business can buy a very related advertisement and thus sponsoring the topic. Should OIO be run in this way? Better solution?

Need help?  Quick start guide | Troubleshooting | All help topics

Looking through the forums it looks like there are 2 answers.

The way I mentioned above with multiple ad zones for each page which will get nasty with lots of pages.

The other is subids. I found some code but I don't understand how this works. An ad bought with a subid of the postid is only then displayed on the page with that same id?

Is management of these ads straight forward? In other words can I easily find all the advertisers for a specific page?

• CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2010 edited

Project Admin

Do you use WordPress categories to segment your content?

If so, OIO has an inbuilt categories function that I think would do the job (certainly much more so than having several hundred zones!).

With categories enabled, the advertiser (or you, as an admin) is asked to choose the WordPress category that best matches the ad. That ad will then only appear when one or more posts on the page being viewed is associated with that category.

eg. I put an ad in the 'Sports -> Football' category. I'm then browsing around the site and one page contains a post that is also linked to the same category. The ad is eligible to show on that page.

No, I'm using Wordpress pages. Even categories are to broad. Think high level like hobbies. "The Arts" category would have Piano Playing or Photography. Not really related from an advertising perspective.

So the subid option won't work?

• CommentAuthorSimon

Project Admin

A subid would work, in so far as it could be very granular (ie. you could have a different unique ID for every page, if you wanted).

It does depend on you having a system to automatically generate the unique IDs, so that they can automatically be appended to the url when someone purchases.

If we take a simple javascript ad code example (that would display one of your ad zones), and we imagine that each of your topics has a unique name, then it would look like this:

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://mysite.com/path/to/oiopub/js.php?type=link&zone=1&subid=Piano"></script>

The next stage would be to abstract the subid (so that different values could be passed in automatically). We'll use a php variable $topic in this next example, so that the code to display the zone would now look like this:

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://mysite.com/path/to/oiopub/js.php?type=link&zone=1&subid=<?php echo $topic; ?>"></script>

A similar pattern can be followed for purchase links (if you want to create a list of links or give purchase links out to some one):

http://mysite.com/path/to/oiopub/purchase.php?do=link&zone=1&subid=Piano

Whilst it isn't a fully featured solution, it does at least provide the desired functionality (to use a single zone for many different kinds of ads).

Hopefully that makes it a bit clearer for you.

Can this be implemented just as easily from the page template files of Wordpress in php? Using the postid as the subid?

How does management work from the backend of oio for using subids? Straightforward to find particular subids?

One other quick question. If I implement the subid method I won't be able to adjust pricing on a per page basis, correct? Maybe it is worth having multiple zones to get this functionality.

• CommentAuthorSimon

Project Admin

The subid could be a WordPress post ID. There isn't currently a "filter by category / subid" option when viewing a list of purchases, but I could add one if needed.

It wouldn't be possible to adjust pricing (since by that point, it is really a new zone anyway).

It sounds like finding a balance whereby topics / pages are grouped together and assigned a zone might be a good solution, if that's possible. Otherwise, you'll end up with something you can't really manage effectively (at least not with OIO).

Thanks for all the help. I'm going to have to give this some consideration before purchasing.