Purchase OIOpublisher now for just $47.

Take control of your ad space.

Click here to purchase

Hi,

Your system looks to have the majority of what we're looking for and if so it's well worth the $47! I've got a few questions prior to clicking the purchase button though.

1. We will be launching a system with tenancy purchase for the first few months but after that (once stats are there to support it) we will be going with CPM and CPC. I noticed that in another posting back in January you said you were looking into it - do you know when you are likely to add this functionality?
    2. We would like to have a flexible placeholder in the right hand banner that shows (depending on what we have in our pool of paid for ads) a skyscraper or two button ads - is this possible?
    3. We would like to be able to sell a whole page (top banner and skyscraper and maybe a position on the skin of the site) for example all the ad slots on a homepage or landing page - is this possible?

Thanks,
    Darren

Need help?  Quick start guide | Troubleshooting | All help topics
    • CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2011

Project Admin

#1 - I released a beta that contains CPC / CPM charging models recently.

#2 - That's not currently possible with the standard ad display code. All ad slots in a zone must be the same size, so switching between sizes in one zone wouldn't be possible. You could potentially handle it outside of OIO, by displaying / hiding zones based on whether the zone is empty or not.

#3 - Again, that would need to be handled outside of OIO. If you're using WordPress, you can use their template conditionals to show different ad zones on different pages. You could therefore have, for example, a set of ad zones for the home page and a set for the rest of the site.

Thanks for coming back with an answer so swiftly, it's oh so near to what I'm after although I don't need the ability to take payment as we will deal with that seperately.

I like the idea of the workarounds but does that mean that if for example I chose to hide, via css/js, a skyscraper banner and display a button ad they would both show up in the stats? I'm assuming that would be the case.

Regards,
    Darren

• CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2011 edited

Project Admin

I was thinking more along the lines of hiding it using server-side code. It might be cleaner (from the point of view of collecting stats etc) to query the database to see how many live ads were currently available.

Quick example below, to choose between zone 1 and 2.

<?php
    //define function
    function oiopub_ads_live($zone_id, $type='banner') {
    global $oiopub_set, $oiopub_db;
    //set vars
    $zone_id = (int) $zone_id;
    $channel = $type == 'link' ? 2 : 5;
    //query database (count)
    return (int) $oiopub_db->GetOne("SELECT COUNT(*) FROM " . $oiopub_set->dbtable_purchases . " WHERE item_channel=$channel AND item_type=$zone_id AND item_status=1 AND payment_status=1");
    }
    //which zone to check?
    $zone_id = 1;
    //perform check
    if(oiopub_ads_live($zone_id) > 0) {
    //ad code for zone 1
    } else {
    //ad code for zone 2
    }
    ?>

That's awesome, thanks!