Purchase OIOpublisher now for just $47.

Take control of your ad space.

Click here to purchase

Hey Simon,

Hope you can help me out here since this is mostly related to all my sites out there.

I have multiple WP sites, different installs under different domains (not a Multi-Site install, yet each one is separate).

Most of my blogs are user generated, meaning, users create their profile, log in and post their articles using pre-determined custom fields and custom forms that I created based on the category of the post.

Now, the issue is, most of those themes use "Custom posts" and not the typical WP Blog posts, so in other words, they have their own dedicated post panel in the WP admin section, along with their own "single-post.php" and "theme-post.php" files,I think you know what I mean so far.

The problem that I'm facing is the following:
    I would like to allow these users to post a link/banner to their website from within the article posting form.

The problem is, the permalink of the articles are created ONLY after I approve the post, so there's no way for them to apply the banner or link exchange steps since OIO will not be aware of the permalink as of yet while the ad hasnt been processed and approved.

Assuming I'll opt for a 2 step process, meaning, once the ad is approved, the user can back into their account and edit the post, at this point, I can insert the required OIO code related to the banner/link exchange process.

Do you know how I can go by grabbing the necessary code and implement it within those "single-post.php" files? Will this approach actually work?

If not, I'm open for alternative suggestions if this makes any sense to you or may be valuable for other OIO users out there.

Need help?  Quick start guide | Troubleshooting | All help topics
    • CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2011 edited

Project Admin

It sounds like using a standard ad zone with a subid might be the way to go. Create an ad zone and place the ad zone code (php recommended) in the appropriate theme file.

Below is a quick example, using some of OIO's ad zone customisation options:

<?php
    if(function_exists('oiopub_banner_zone')) {
    $zone_id = 1;
    $options = array(
    'empty' => 0,
    'align' => "center",
    'subid' => get_the_author(),
    );
    oiopub_banner_zone($zone_id, $options);
    }
    ?>

This would display banner ad zone 1, with no empty ad slots showing (optional), and a 'subid' of the author's name. A subid is essentially a way of filtering ads - by a post's author, in this example, but it could be anything you want (post ID, category ID etc).

The final piece of the puzzle would be to place a purchase link somewhere for the author to access it. The purchase url must contain the subid mentioned earlier.

e.g. If my author name was 'Simon', then the purchase url would look something like this:

>> http://mysite.com/oiopub/purchase.php?do=banner&zone=1&subid=Simon

PS. if you don't have at least OIO v2.40, you'll need to upgrade.

• CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2011

Project Admin

As an aside - the only way I can think of making the process 1-step, if you want to do a link / banner exchange, would be to have a public post preview option.

Here's a plugin I found that claims to do that kind of thing, although I have no idea if it would work as required..

Hey Simon, first of all thank you for the headsup and the extra work you're putting into this request, really appreciated by the way!

I do have v2.40 and kinda hesitating on upgrading to v2.50 since I got multiple installs on multiple sites and I'm thinking of changing how I use the cross-site advertising with OIO, but thats another thread I'm saving for this honor :) lol

Here's the main problem with those themes, as I mentioned, they use custom posts/taxonomies, and not the default Post that would usually get pushed under a Blog entry, therefore, they make those plugins obsolete, I installed it just to confirm, and as I thought, it only works on a regular Blog post, but when it comes to posting under the Custom posts, it doesnt even show up there.

I'm sure that if I get a programmer to tweak the plugin to make it see the custom posts declarations, it would work.

On the other hand, this can work out for a 2 step process, which in fact might be even better, why?
    Step 1: Admin validates the post and publishes it
    Step 2: The user can log back in to their dashboard and click on: "Add a Link to your website" which I'll manually integrate into his dashboard, this link will take them to the OIO interface to complete the link exchange process.

If the user opts to complete the link/banner exchange process, it'll be up to them, at least the option to do so will be available in their dashboard.

Now, the final step is how to make ALL this work from one single point of purchase instead of distributing the code on each separate site and theme.

This process works fine for internal contributors/members within the same website, I'm also looking to push external advertising for outsiders who wish to advertise on the site, which I think should be easier once I set a single point of purchase then integrate the custom OIO code within the target sites.