Purchase OIOpublisher now for just $47.

Take control of your ad space.

Click here to purchase

• CommentAuthormanagerads
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2012

I'm pulling in google ads - banners on top and in sidebar - using the Default ads display. On checking the speed on my site (Pingdom) I find that the speed is way down generally because of this. Is this something to do with the way OIO imports this or is it a Google issue? Thanks.

Need help?  Quick start guide | Troubleshooting | All help topics
    • CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2012 edited

Project Admin

If you're serving the ads using OIO's javascript code, it may be a bit slower (since it has to execute the ad javascript). If that's the case, switching to OIO's php ad code should speed things up.

If you're using the php ad code already, then I'd assume it's caused by the Google ads.

• CommentTimeJun 16th 2012

Found this code below which which I am trying in the himl box - no Googleads showing but maybe it takes time or won't it work?

Not sure what you mean by "switching to OIO's php ad". You mean not using Google as a default?? I already have the OIO php code in my header which was pulling the Google javascript.

<?php
    //assign adsense code to a variable
    $googleadsensecode = '
    <script type="text/javascript">
    google_ad_client = "pub-123456789";
    google_ad_slot = "123456";
    google_ad_width = 180;
    google_ad_height = 150;
    //-->
    </script>
    <script type="text/javascript"
    src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js">
    </script>';
    //now outputting this to HTML
    echo $googleadsensecode;
    ?>

• CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2012 edited

Project Admin

If you're already using OIO's php code to serve the ads, then there won't be any speed issues on OIO's side (because it's just displaying the html).

One thing I would do is remove the php code you have around the google ad html - it's not needed. Just copy & paste the code straight from google's site into OIO's default ad textbox and save.

• CommentTimeJun 16th 2012

Yes, but this is the issue... despite using the php code in the header if I look at the draw time in Pingdom it is significant.

• CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2012 edited

Project Admin

If the slow-down is simply caused by placing google ads on the site, there's not much that can be done about it, other than to make sure you're following the tips I already mentioned:

1.) Serve all ad zones using OIO's php ad code, rather than javascript.
    2.) Copy & paste the ads directly into OIO from Google (don't add php code around it).
    3.) Make sure the ad zone code is in the <body> tag of your website, not the <head> tag.

Beyond that, you'd need to weigh up whether the benefit of using Google ads justifies the slow-down in page loading time. If it's the Google ads themselves causing the slow-down, there's nothing you can do to speed them up.