Purchase OIOpublisher now for just $47.

Take control of your ad space.

Click here to purchase

• CommentAuthordebjaz
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2008

I have added Inline Ads to my blog, but I'm not able to get the text to wrap around the images. The images will appear above the text or below the text, but not within the text. I found a thread where someone else was having the same problem, but it was not resolved (see http://forum.oiopublisher.com/discussion/155/alignment-of-inline-ad/#Item_0). The final advice given at that time was to comb through the style sheet to find the possible cause for the misalignment.

I have tried the plugin on two different blogs and two different themes, with the same result. I know the basics of CSS, but I'm far from being an expert. I've looked through the style sheets for both themes/sites, and I experimented with making many small changes. I tried both the php code snippet and the java script inside the templates. Still no luck.

It's certainly possible that the problem is in the style sheet, but I'm also having some trouble understanding the basic configuration instructions, which may or may not be contributing to the problem. I'll try to describe the issues I'm having:

First, I set up the on/off options on the general settings page. Then I entered the parameters for my Inline Ads under Settings-->Options-->Inline Ads (and yes, I entered a price). I also entered the URLs and outgoing link info for my default ads. Then, under Ad Server-->Options-->Ad Zones I configured just one Zone to begin with (better to start small and go from there, I figured). I used the same parameters as above (e.g. price, height & width of image). For Banner Rows and Banner Columns I designated 1 for both (since I only want one Inline Ad to appear in a post). I used the output code from the top of that page to insert into my template. It was successful to a degree, since the Inline Ads *are* appearing - just not within the text, where I want them to be.

The thing is, I'm not sure what the relationship is between Inline Ads and the Zone. It's not intuitive to me, I'm afraid. Do I even need to set up a Zone for Inline Ads...? These instructions at the top of the Zone page have me scratching my head:

"Configure the settings below, then use the 'OIOpub Banner' widget to place the banner area into your sidebar, or add the banner function to your template manually. The widget only works with the first zone...etc."

I'm trying to configure an Inline Ad, but the above instructions seem to only be meant for sidebar banners, which is why I'm unsure of the connection between Zones and Inline Ads. I mean, why would I need a sidebar widget for the Inline Ads? This was my first big clue that I don't know what the heck I'm doing.

I also viewed the page of configuration instructions at http://docs.oiopublisher.com/8/configuration/ and I saw this under the Output Display section, #2:

"If you don't use widgets, you will have to add the output functions manually into your theme files. This also applies if you want to display output in a place other than the sidebar. Click here to view a full list of functions, and how to use them."

But when I clicked through to the referenced list of functions, there aren't any code snippets that address Inline Ads. I AM SO CONFUSED. :-)

I've been struggling with this for two days on my own and am getting nowhere, so it's time to ask for help. I'd be extremely grateful for any advice you could offer, because I really want this to work!

Need help?  Quick start guide | Troubleshooting | All help topics
    • CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2008 edited

Project Admin

Without viewing your site, here are a few quick tips I can give you...

Forget about zones with inline ads. I know that inline ads can display "banner ads", but this type of ad is separated out because it is inserted into a Wordpress post automatically (the inline refers to it being in-post). You don't need to do any theme editing to display this type of ad in Wordpress; only configuring the inline ad settings page is required.

The Ad server tab you refer to is actually just a replica of the banner settings page. The reason it is laid out like that is that it lets people know that ads can be displayed on other sites, using the javascript code.

The first things to find out therefore are (a) what version of the plugin are you using at the moment and (b) after you've removed any un-needed banner ad code / settings, does anything show up in the first post of your page?

If the answer to (b) is nothing displays, then we are most likely looking at a settings error, or something in the code has gone wrong.

- - - - -

Below is just a note on text wrapping. By the sounds of it, this isn't the core issue for you at the moment, but it may be useful for you later:

Wrapping text around an image is done using the css float attribute (it aligns one element within another). The default setting the plugin uses (via its css file) is float:right, which aligns the image to the right of the containing element (which should be whatever the content is in):

http://demo.oiopublisher.com/wp-content/plugins/oiopub-direct/images/output1.css

The css class "oio-inline-position" is used to position inline ads, using the float attribute. The usual cause of mis-alignment (although I'm not an expert in css) is that there is something else that stops the float attribute from working normally. That's why I suggested in the previous thread that the user look through his theme css file (it can be a bit of trial and error).

• CommentAuthordebjaz
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2008

I really appreciate your quick response. I followed your advice, and it's working now! Thank you so much!!! Inline ads are working beautifully, exactly the way they're supposed to (on both of my sites). I'm more than happy to give you the login info for one of my sites, but I don't think I'll need to trouble you to do that now.

I obviously just got wrapped around the axle surrounding the whole 'ad server' thing. Clearly I'm not a techie, or I might have realized I was dealing with apples & oranges. It's slowly starting to make sense now, and I'm beginning to experiment with the other aspects of the plugin as well.

I have a couple more questions for you:

1) I enabled Links Test Mode to try out that feature in the sidebar, and it worked fine. My question is, is there any way to add my own default text link ads in the sidebar, the same way I'm able to add default inline ads to my posts?

2) The website where I first saw your plugin in use contained several pages that were comprised of lists of ad banners, which I want to do with one of my sites (right now I'm experimenting on an un-promoted site with virtually no traffic before I roll out any more changes on my main site). I accomplished this on my test site by creating a page in WP to which I added the appropriate php code snippet (because I have several other pages where I don't want the banners to appear, I didn't add the code to the page template in the theme editor). My question is, is this the best way to handle this? It got the job done, but I just want to make sure that you don't already have a provision for this that I've overlooked.

Now that you've got me pointed in the right direction, I'm really excited about what I'll be able to do with this plugin. In fact, just calling it a 'plugin' doesn't come close to describing what this can do. I've got lots of traffic on my main site but I just haven't had a good way to monetize it before now. That's all about to change... :-)

• CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2008 edited

Project Admin

1.) You can't do that with the current version (1.62), however the next version uses zones for links (as with banner ads), so you will be able to add defaults in that version. It is currently available in beta, from the normal download page, if you want to try it out on your test site.

2.) Sounds like a good method, if you want to show an ad list on a certain page.

Glad you like the plugin. :)