Purchase OIOpublisher now for just $47.

Take control of your ad space.

Click here to purchase

What would cause some computer operating systems or browsers to prevent banner ads from displaying? Does something need to be enabled to ensure they can be viewed?

I was just told, by someone using a Windows 7 computer, that he couldn't see any of the banners which are on my website on his PC (Dell). All he sees is a blank space, but he can on other computers and on his iPad.

Need help?  Quick start guide | Troubleshooting | All help topics
    • CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2014

Project Admin

The most common cause is someone using an ad blocker of some kind in a browser.

If that isn't the case here, could you let me know what browser they were using and also what the site is?

The computer was running Windows 7. Google Chrome and Firefox were the offenders in this case. But the same person could see the banners on a different computer. Website is herefordequestrian.co.uk

• CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2014

Project Admin

In that case, I'll stick with my original thought - something blocking the ads from showing on those browsers, on that particular pc (e.g. ad block).

I tested on the same OS / browser combinations on your site, without any issue, so I don't think there is any general issue that I could pin it down to.

As an experiment, I just enabled a Google Chrome extension called Ad Block and sure enough, all my banners disappear just leaving white space.

Is there a method for adding a message which would be viewable in the event of an ad blocker hiding the ads, so that I can put "disable your ad blocker to view these adverts"?

• CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2014 edited

Project Admin

There are some methods on the web for detecting adblock using javascript, but I haven't looked into them so I'm not sure how reliable they'd be.