Purchase OIOpublisher now for just $47.

Take control of your ad space.

Click here to purchase

I received an email from a customer yesterday with this information:

As of the end of yesterday (1/17) we have received 177 unique responses to our protest from our ad on your site.

That is certain.

However, looking at the ad report from the link you provided this morning shows that we’ve received only 36 clicks to date.

It’s not possible for us to receive 177 unique responses from only 36 clicks.
    I’ve double-checked, and our form doesn’t allow for duplicate email addresses to be entered and my tech is assuring me that our figure of 177 responses is accurate.

Can you look into this issue from your end and see if you can help me get to the bottom of this?

I don't know what to tell him. How can I verify this information? Is there any known issue that would cause this?

Thanks,
    Steve

Need help?  Quick start guide | Troubleshooting | All help topics

Seriously? Nothing? It's been 24 hours.

• CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2016 edited

Project Admin

Sorry for the delay. It won't be possible to verify historic information, since the raw data is only held for 24 hours before being aggregated for performance / space reasons.

What I would suggest as a first step is to switch on the debugging log for stats tracking, which logs to a file any clicks that are not recorded (there are a number of rules which will mean a click is discarded, such as it being likely to not come from a human).

Open OIO's "/modules/tracker/oiopub-load.php" file and search for:

var $debug = false;

Change it to:

var $debug = 'click';

From that point on, any invalidated clicks will be logged in an error file in OIO's "/modules/tracker" folder. After it's been running for a day or so, we can take a look to see if there is anything in particular stopping clicks from being logged (and can then disable it).

An update: I edited the php file for debugging yesterday. Is tomorrow enough time to check it?

OK, so my last question was 3 days ago. Can you look at the log file now?

• CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2016 edited

Project Admin

I've had a look at it and the main error is actually "invalid ad ID" (which is probably a crawler accessing the main URL, without an ID attached). There isn't anything logged that would indicate OIO stopping the clicks being logged.

I've made a couple of tweaks to the tracker module anyway, to loosen up the rules a bit. If you re-download just that module and then upload it to your OIO install, we can see if it makes any difference (keep the logging on for the time being too).

The other thing it would be useful to see is that particular ad (i.e. so I can look at that specific ad on the site itself).

At this stage I can't see anything particularly wrong though.

OK, I've made the changes to the tracker module and kept the error logging on.

Also, the specific ad is Zone 4, top right sidebar. This is the one:

• CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2016

Project Admin

I've had another look at the logs, but there's nothing to suggest any big issue with under-counting. It looks to be working as it should, as far as I can see.

• CommentAuthorsteveskojec
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2016 edited

I'm now getting an error with the tracker. When you click on one of our current ads, it says:

The requested URL /wp-content/plugins/oiopub-direct/modules/tracker/www.romancatholicgear.com was not found on this server.

Do you think this is related to the update?

Wow. Everything is broken. I now have ads showing up that aren't even current, or selected in my ad zones, while current ads won't.

Knowing it's going to be days before I get support doesn't help. My customers are getting so frustrated.

• CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2016 edited

Project Admin

I've had a look at all the ads on the site home page, including the one that leads to romancatholichear.com, but didn't get any errors when clicking on any of them. Can you still see it happening and if so, to which ads/pages specifically?

I noticed you are using wpengine.com and they do very aggressive caching of WordPress sites, which I've seen temporarily cause odd behaviour on sites before, including display of "old" content (unrelated to OIO). It's possible that might have been the cause of what you saw, particularly if the issue was only temporary.