Purchase OIOpublisher now for just $47.

Take control of your ad space.

Click here to purchase

• CommentAuthorjtpratt
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2008

Without documentation I'm able to figure most things out on my own. After some digging I was able to figure out that I could become an 'affiliate' on OIOpublisher and get my unique URL if people signup by my referral. However, in my OIOPublisher install itself in Wordpress under "Business -> Affiliates" it says I can "enable" my affiliate program. What is that for? Is this to sell a product of mine or for others to "sell" my ads and get a commission? If so - how do they do this? I don't understand how this works...

Need help?  Quick start guide | Troubleshooting | All help topics
    • CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2008 edited

Project Admin

Sorry for the lack of documentation so far. It is coming - see http://docs.oiopublisher.com - once completed, every plugin tab will link to the relevant documentation, for easy access.

The "Affiliates" tab within the plugin itself is for your blog. If you enable it, you can let users signup, and they will be given an affiliate url. They would then be able to refer people to your site, which sets a cookie, and any sales made as a result would be credited to that affiliate's account.

An example of the affiliate signup page can be seen here:

http://demo.oiopublisher.com/wp-content/plugins/oiopub-direct/modules/affiliates/account.php

Since it's quite a long url, you could always use your htaccess file to shorten it for users (again, this will be covered in docs). Example:

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule ^affiliates/ /wp-content/plugins/oiopub-direct/modules/affiliates/account.php [L]

Would shorten the url to: http://yourblog.com/affiliates/

If you need any more info, just ask. :)

• CommentAuthorjtpratt
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2008

thx!

Ok - then how do you define your products and your prices? I see how you can add in a percentage or fixed rate, but now where to add the products and their attributes in....

• CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2008 edited

Project Admin

Oh, maybe you've mis-understood the intended use a little. The initial aim of the affiliate module was to enable your readers to get involved with the sale of your blog ads, by refering people through to your site, for them to purchase.

However, you could achieve what you are looking for to an extent by using the Custom Purchase settings. You can currently define up to 3 products / services to sell, and then in combination with the affiliate program, have your users sell those products for commission.

At the moment, I'm working on allowing unlimited banner zones and custom purchases, so when the next version comes out, you'll be able to sell as many products as you like. It's not exactly a "shop" area, but it could be used in that way if you wished. You could go as far as setting up a custom wordpress page, and adding images / descriptions of your products there, then linking through to the purchase page for individual items.

• CommentAuthorjtpratt

now I have some good ideas. If I setup the affiliate area for people to promote and sell my ads how do they get the initial info and custom URL's? Is this a page I have to create?

• CommentAuthorSimon

Project Admin

Your best bet would be to setup a page to explain it yes, then link through to the affiliate signup page. That way, you can explain exactly what they are able to sell, and at what commission rate.

The signup URL (also the login url for affiliates) would be in the format:

http://yourblogurl.com/wp-content/plugins/oiopub-direct/modules/affiliates/account.php

Just to note, by default, the affiliate urls shown are based on the blog home page, whereas you may want them to point to another page of your choice. To change the default affiliate url path, you can do the following:

OPEN

oiopub-direct/modules/affiliates/account.php

FIND

<b>Affiliate Link:</b> <?php echo $oiopub_misc->blog_url; ?>/?ref=<?php echo $affiliate_id; ?>

REPLACE WITH

A link path of your choice, such as: <?php echo $oiopub_misc->blog_url; ?>/purchase/?ref=<?php echo $affiliate_id; ?>

• CommentAuthorjtpratt

again I thank you - this is very helpful!