Purchase OIOpublisher now for just $47.

Take control of your ad space.

Click here to purchase

I have a need to serve different ads to different user groups. I'm not sure how I will do the groups but I do use the Wishlist Membership Plugin. Any ideas? I really like the features I see with your plugin. As an example I need to assign different ads to different user geographics. Users in California need to see California ads. Users in Texas need to see Texas ads. Bla Bla and etc .. Maybe I recognize the state that is in their profile?

Thanks ~

Need help?  Quick start guide | Troubleshooting | All help topics
    • CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2009 edited

Project Admin

As it stands, there is a "default ads" system that can be used to segment ads by a visitor's country of origin, using this free database:

>> http://www.maxmind.com/app/geolitecountry

They offer commercial solutions that cover cities / states, but it's not really that viable on the small scale.

As it came up, I did have a quick scout around for other solutions. This data feed might prove useful, as it does offer more information, and without the need to store the database on your own server. It would still require a list of country / state codes to couple with their actual names though.

It's something I may well look into as a more flexible alternative to maxmind, but isn't something available now.

• CommentAuthorSimon

Project Admin

Sorry, I just re-read the end of your post and you mentioned that the state is in their membership profile, which makes the above at least partially redundant.

If you've got the geographical information already stored, then you could create an ad zone for each region you want to target (eg. Texas, California), and use the profile info to call the right zone.

Quick theoretical example below:

<?php
    //match up each geographical region with an ad zone (California as zone 1, Texas as zone 2 etc)
    $regions = array( 'CA' => 1, 'TX' => 2 );
    //now get the user's current region (would need replacing with whatever variable the other script uses to get user info)
    $user_region = $profile['STATE'];
    //get ad zone ID
    $zone_id = $regions[$user_region];
    //show ad zone
    oiopub_banner_zone($zone_id);
    ?>

Ok .. I'm excited! I understand your code example but just to make sure I'm clear on the implementation. As an example, if I only had only one graphic ad spot on my WP blog and I had the state info in the users profile and executed your code example correctly, that single graphic ad spot could show a different ad to a user depending on the geographic state listed in their profile. One ad to those in California and a different to those in Texas, bla bla and etc...

Sorry about being redundant but sometime I read what I want to read and not what the good admin guy meant.

Thanks so much. I lay awake all night on this one! PS What forum plugin is this?

• CommentAuthorSimon

Project Admin

Yes, that's correct.

It's not a perfect implementation for all situations, as some might prefer to control all the ads for the different regions from one zone (rather than requiring one zone per region). However, the end result is identical.

The one other advantage to the multi-zone approach is that you can easily direct advertisers interested in a specific region to the corresponding zone's purchase form, if needed.

This forum runs off the Vanilla platform. I've hacked it a little bit for use with this site, but it's a good app regardless.