Purchase OIOpublisher now for just $47.

Take control of your ad space.

Click here to purchase

• CommentAuthorclive
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2009

Hi all,

I am starting a new forum project and need a solution to show banner ads in various areas of the forum boards... SMFads has this capability and I hope it is a case of just placing the OIO zone banner code in via the forum admin area... I have an installation of openX which I am finding far too complicated to use and also having issues getting any banners to even show...

So my questions are... Does anyone have any experience in using OIO as a standalone to show ads on a SMF forum... Is there any reason it won't work?...

I would be installing the stand alone into a domain/advertisers directory.. Is this the correct thing to do?

Am I correct in thinking that I can set up zones (one zone for each forum board) but can I also make other zones that would be on different websites as well? (on the same server)

The purchase price isn't so much to layout to do some testing but it would be good to have a 30 day trial or something for future possible buyers...

Thanks for any answers and help...

Clive

Need help?  Quick start guide | Troubleshooting | All help topics
    • CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2009 edited

Project Admin

I've not used SMFads (I have used SMF, but it was a while back).

If the premise of SMFads is that it lets you insert ad code (eg. google ads) on different parts of the board, then there should be absolutely no reason why it won't work with OIO ad code (assuming the dimensions of the spaces provided by SMFads are sufficient etc).

The installation method you suggest would work fine. In standalone mode, it can be installed anywhere you like. You'd then want to use the javascript output to place an ad zone in a space provided by SMFads.

I've always thought of trials of web apps to be a bit of a handful - to give the user the full experience, it would need to be encrypted with ioncube and time limited etc. That's not to say I wouldn't do something like that in the future, but the method I use now (ie. someone emailing me asking for a refund after finding it isn't to their liking) has worked well enough so far.

• CommentAuthorclive

Thanks for your quick answer... I'll buy you system in a minute... I didn't know you offered refunds.. Very commendable on your part I must say as virtually no one offers refunds once the code is downloaded.... I will let you know of my progress with getting ads up on my forum as the system is exactly as you surmise...

One more question... Will I be able to manually upload ads via admin backend bypassing the payment system but also having the front end user upload system in place with paypal integration?

• CommentAuthorSimon

Project Admin

Heh, that's why I don't advertise the fact (usually). It's better than having unhappy customers though.

There is an admin editor that lets you upload ads without going through the payment system, yes. Any non-admin user will have to go through it though.