Purchase OIOpublisher now for just $47.

Take control of your ad space.

Click here to purchase

• CommentAuthormllehman
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2009

What happens if an advertiser does not pay or cancels their monthly subscription through Paypal? Will the ad continue to display? Will they be sent an automatic email that their monthly subscription payment is delinquent?

Need help?  Quick start guide | Troubleshooting | All help topics
    • CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2009 edited

Project Admin

If the advertiser doesn't pay in the first place, the ad will just remain in an inactive state.

If they cancel their subscription, paypal will send a message to OIO, which will cause the ad to expire normally at the end of the next purchase period. The advertiser will receive a standard "your ad has expired, do you want to renew?" email at that point.

Paypal should also send you and the advertiser a confirmation email at the time of the subscription cancellation.

• CommentAuthormllehman

Also, I notice that the Subscription is actually a "yes/no "choice" for the advertiser. I actually would like it to be the "only choice" (so my advertiser "must" subscribe --- is that possible for me to set up?

• CommentAuthorSimon

Project Admin

It would require a small template edit...

(1) OPEN the file: 'templates/core/purchase_banners.tpl'

(2) SEARCH FOR

<tr>
    <td><b>Subscription:</b></td>
    <td><?php echo oiopub_dropmenu_kv($oiopub_set->arr_yesno, "oio_subscription", $item->item_subscription, 200, "", 0, 6); ?> [<a href="javascript://" title="Subscriptions enable the automatic renewing of a purchase"><b>?</b></a>]</td>
    </tr>

(3) REPLACE WITH

<input type="hidden" name="oio_subscription" value="1" />

PS. if you were running other ad types (not just banner ads), the same edit would need to be made to the corresponding template file.

• CommentAuthormllehman

Thanks, that's helpful.

Here's another quick question:

What if I decide to close my site, would adveritisers go on and pay another 2-3 months until they find out they're not getting hits from me?

How could I handle this situation with OIO?

• CommentAuthorSimon

Project Admin

In that case you'd need to cancel any existing subscriptions via paypal. You could also grab a purchase report for all currently active advertisers, which would get you all of their email addresses in order to contact them.

• CommentAuthormllehman

Yes, I see.

In that case you'd need to cancel any existing subscriptions via paypal.

Another blogger I know says that it would be impossible for me to cancel an advertiser's subscriptions, as Paypal does not allow this. He says that only an advertiser can cancel their own subsciptions (no one else can).

Do you know of a way that I would be able to cancel my advertiser's subscriptions?

• CommentAuthormllehman

I am wondering where I should install OIO?

I have a main domain at marialorenalehman.com, but my blog is located at sensingarchitecture.com -- a subdomain.

Could I just create a folder within the "sensngarchitecture" directory? (public_html/sensingarchitecture/OIO)

• CommentAuthorSimon

Project Admin

Re: subscription cancellations, it could well be the case that only the advertiser can actually cancel it. The only thing you could do would be to contact the advertisers and advise them to cancel.

If you put it in the folder you suggested, the url to access OIO would be http://www.sensingarchitecture.com/OIO - which would work fine. Although if you wanted to install it as a plugin on your blog, you could just upload it to the Wordpress "plugins" directory instead.

• CommentAuthormllehman

Just bought OIO and am trying to install it as a wordpress install.

Where do I need to upload the "oiopub-direct" folder and all of its files?

Do I need to put it in two places? or just within my "plugins" dirctory?

• CommentAuthorSimon

Project Admin

Just the plugins directory. There's a full (albeit short!) installation tutorial at the link below:

>> http://forum.oiopublisher.com/discussion/507/installing-the-ad-manager/#Item_5

• CommentAuthormllehman

I saw in Paypal there is a way to specify a number for billing cycles for a subscription button as follows:

After how many cycles should billing stop?

Can this be integrated into OIO?

• CommentAuthormllehman
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2009

PS -- your plugin is working great...thanks for your time and effort in answering all of my questions!

• CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2009 edited

Project Admin

There are quite a few variables involved when it comes to adding it as a part of OIO (which means I probably won't attempt to implement it before v3), but it could be hardcoded into the script.

There's a variable that controls the number of times a purchaser is re-billed. You could set that variable manually to a fixed value to let your advertisers pay in installments:

* number of billing cycles hardcoded to three
    * advertiser selects "$50 for 30 days" pricing option
    * they are billed $150 in three $50 installments (every 30 days)

To achieve this, you'd need to force subscriptions to be on (as we talked about earlier with the template modification). You'd also need to explain to advertisers that there would be a 3 period billing cycle (you could put that information in the place you remove the subscription drop-down menu from), after which the ad would require renewal.

---------

You'd then need to make one code change to a paypal file:

OPEN THE FILE

'modules/paypal/include/ipn.class.php'

FIND

$form .= '<input type="hidden" name="sra" value="1" />';

ADD ON THE NEXT LINE

$form .= '<input type="hidden" name="srt" value="3" />';

You can change the value from 3 to whatever you want, but it would be hardcoded for all purchases.

• CommentAuthormllehman

That's great! Would renewal be handles automatically by OIO?

Also...

You'd also need to explain to advertisers that there would be a 3 period billing cycle (you could put that information in the place you remove the subscription drop-down menu from)

I'm not sure what you mean? How could I do this?

• CommentAuthorSimon

Project Admin

All I meant was you'd need to make sure your advertisers undestood that they'd be re-billed automatically X times via paypal.

I might have to run some tests on what happens when a subscription ends, since the IPN is only set up to deal with regular payments and subscription cancellations.

---------

EDIT: I've made a change to the payment system to allow for naturally expiring subscriptions. You'll need to re-download the script and upload the following files again:

* the entire 'paypal' module
    * the include/payment.php file

• CommentAuthormllehman

Done.

Just so I understand, this will allow for automatical renewals to be handled by OIO if I set them (within the code) to expire globally in 6 months. Otherwise, subsciptions will still be able to go on indefinitely.

Is this how it is now set up now?

What is the best way for me to test this? --- naturally expiring subscriptions.

• CommentAuthorSimon

Project Admin

Unless you set the extra variable in the paypal form, the subscription will be indefinite, yes.

Renewals won't happen entirely automatically, since the advertiser will still need to make another payment in order to renew the ad once the number of subscription cylces you have specified runs out.

When the ad expires, the advertiser gets an email containing a link to click, which can be used to make a fresh payment (and re-select a current pricing option).

----------

Paypal has a "sandbox" you can sign up to, which lets you make fake paypal transactions and also contains an IPN simulator. It will probably seem rather complicated at first however:

>> https://developer.paypal.com

If you attempt to use it, you'll need to activate the sandbox option in OIO too. You can do that by changing the value of $oiopub_set->sandbox in the 'config.php' file.

• CommentAuthorSimon

Project Admin

One other thing, I've just been reading this article about paypal subscriptions.

Because of what it says about the order of IPN notifications (which doesn't always appear to be consistent), I've made one more change to the "include/payment.php" file. It ensures that OIO handles the actual expiration of the ad rather than solely relying on the IPN notices.

It's just an extra precaution to ensure the ad isn't expired before the subscription period ends.

• CommentAuthormllehman

so, if I have raised my prices they will have to renew at the newer higher price...right?

-----

If I raise my prices, say in 3 months to $100/month --- that wouldn't affect those advertisers already subscribing at a lower rate like $50/month, right? They would basically pay $50/mo until their own subscription expires (say in 6 months)-- then they would renew at my new higher rate of $100... right?

----

thanks so much for all of your help with this!