Purchase OIOpublisher now for just $47.

Take control of your ad space.

Click here to purchase

• CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2009 edited

Project Admin

This is a small plugin for Wordpress to compliment OIO and contains a few additional features not found in the core.

Additional Features

1.) Integrate a standalone installation of OIO with any Wordpress / WPMU blog (if you’ve got OIO installed as a Wordpress plugin, you can ignore this feature).

2.) Type a placeholder such as [% oiopub-banner-1-left %] into any of your Wordpress posts and it will automatically be converted into an OIO ad zone. The example would output banner zone 1 on the left of your post.

3.) Put an ad zone into your RSS feed (javascript output recommended).

Installation Procedure

1.) Download and unzip the attachment.

2.) Open the "oio-addons.php" file and configure the settings marked at the top (no admin area for it I'm afraid!). Once configured, save the updated file.

3.) Upload the "oio-addons.php" file to your Wordpress "plugins" directory (which should also work in the "mu-plugins" directory in WPMU).

Other Notes

If you have a standalone OIO install, using this plugin to integrate it with Wordpress / WPMU will also give you full access to the other features.

You should not implement the standalone integration if you already have installed OIO as a Wordpress plugin. The other features will still work.

PS. if you find any bugs, just list them below

Need help?  Quick start guide | Troubleshooting | All help topics
    • CommentAuthormandyvft
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2009

Hi Simon

I've just purchased oiopublisher and the more tutorials and forums posts I read the more confused I become. So I hope you don't mind me asking all these questions...

1. Is the above plugin for WP and WPMU installs or just for standalone apps?

2. If the new plugin is for WP and WPMU installs does it overwrite the output code in the quick start guide?

3. In the quick start guide for the output code...I'm not sure if I should be using the javascript or the php to place the banner on the website? It says "place this script on any website you want to display ads on". But where does the script go? And does it go on every page?

4. If this new plugin is for WP and WPMU installations as well does the output code for WP head and footer hook still need to be carried out?

5. I've read the forum posts and I'm still not able to figure out how to ensure a banner goes in a specific spot within a post. For example: I'd like the banner to appear before the fold of the page. I've read about the placeholders but don't understand where it comes from and what I need of the above to set up a placeholder.

6. In your email you mentioned "to split ads into different groups and create one zone for each group" - I can see zones but where are the groups settings?

7. How can I set my banner ads up so that I can run my own ads, but can later on if I wish, sell that "space" as ad space on my site. Without having to go through 1000's of posts changing place holder codes.

Sorry for so many questions. I'm really excited about getting started with OIO. And want to ensure I'm setting things up properly.

Kind regards
    Mandy

• CommentAuthorSimon

Project Admin

What's your situation at the moment? Is it still the case that you have a standard Wordpress install (not WPMU) and have installed OIO as a Wordpress plugin?

It will make it easier to answer the questions once I'm clear on that.

• CommentAuthormandyvft

Hi Simon

I have WPMU installed. But only have OIO activated as a plugin for my main site blog.

Sorry for not being more specific before.

• CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2009 edited

Project Admin

In that case:

1.) The plugin can be used with either a standalone install of OIO or a Wordpress install. If you've installed OIO as a Wordpress plugin, then you can ignore feature #1 (the integration) - the other features will be automatically available to you.

2.) The "addons" plugin doesn't affect the output code in the quick start guide - it just offers the additional features mentioned in the first post.

3.) You can use either php or javascript. I'd recommend using the php option though. The output code goes wherever you want an ad zone to appear - so say you wanted to place one in your blog theme's header, you'd need to edit the "header.php" Wordpress theme file to include the OIO code there. Remember that this won't apply to posts, since you'll use the placeholder instead.

4.) The header and footer hooks should be in your Wordpress theme by default. If you want to check that it is, then you can check your theme's "header.php" and "footer.php" files for the code.

5.) Before you can make an ad zone appear in your posts (using the placeholder), you need to make sure you have at least one banner ad zone setup. You can find these settings in the admin area, via OIOpublisher -> Settings -> Banner Ads. From there you can create new ad zones and manage existing ones.

Say you then decide to place banner ad zone 1 in a post, you'd add [% oiopub-banner-1-left %] into the content in the place you'd like it to display.

6.) In this scenario, each zone represents a group. The "default ads" section at the bottom of each ad zone settings page is where you can put your own ads into the zone (without having to make a purchase).

7.) If you run your own ads as "default ads" (as explained above), then you can sell spots at any time simply by setting a price for each ad zone. Those spots will then become available for purchase by advertisers.

• CommentAuthormandyvft
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2009 edited

Hi Simon

Thanks so much, this is a HUGE HELP! :-)

The placeholder option is excellent, Simon!

I'm getting my banners under-way and the results are great.

Kind regards
    Mandy

• CommentAuthormltnews
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2010

I'm having trouble getting the RSS ads to work. I have created an ad zone 3 and here are my settings in the add-on plugin:

/*
    (3) Display an ad zone in your RSS Feed
    */

// select whether to display a 'banner' or 'link' ad zone
    $oio_rss_type = 'banner';

// select the zone ID to display
    $oio_rss_zone = 3;

// select whether to position the ad on the 'left', 'right' or 'center'
    $oio_rss_position = 'center';

// if you want to use javascript output, add the full url to the OIO "js.php" file here, otherwise php will be used
    // eg. $oio_rss_javascript = 'http://www.mysite.com/oiopub/js.php';
    $oio_rss_javascript = '';

• CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2010 edited

Project Admin

I'm assuming the issue is that nothing shows up in the RSS Feed, but it would certainly be worth checking the source code for anything related to oio (to see if it is reaching the page at all). If you're using a service like feedburner, the cache may need to catch up too.

A couple of other points:

1.) Do you have one ad slot in that zone, or more than one? If it's more than one, I'd advise just using a single slot to start with.

2.) You may also want to try filling in the $oio_rss_javascript url to see if that shows up or not.

• CommentAuthormltnews
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2010

Yes, nothing shows up in the RSS feed source code.

I have 1 ad slot in that zone and I even tried filling in the $oio_rss_javascript url to see if that works.

I also tried a plugin called RSS Footer and had it put the javascript code in the feed. The code I told it to put in was:

<script type='text/javascript' src='http://MLTnews.com/wp-content/plugins/oiopub-direct/js.php?type=banner&align=center&zone=3'></script>

but it ended up coming out in the feed like this:
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://mltnews.com/wp-content/plugins/oiopub-direct/js.php?type=&zone=&position="></script>

and resulted in the following text in the feed: Invalid Ad Zone

• CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2010 edited

Project Admin

Right now I can't get anything to show up in the RSS feed using a test install of Wordpress 2.9 (in either OIO or RSSfooter). Either a bug in Wordpress or it's just been a very long day!

Anyway, since you can get the javascript url to appear using RSSfooter, stick with that for now. You might want to try replacing & in the url with &-amp; (without with -) to see if that stops the parameters being stripped out of the url. It really shouldn't strip anything out though.

• CommentAuthormandyvft
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2010 edited

Hi Simon

Can I set specific ads as default ads for specific zones.

(I'm not selling pet food, just using it as an example:

Cat Food Zone - can I place cat food default ads in the cat food zone
    Dog Food Zone - can I place dog food default ads in the dog food zone

Kind regards
    Mandy

Scratch that question, Simon... I think I've figured it out.

• CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2010

Project Admin

No problem, glad you figured it out.

• CommentAuthorjeshyr
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2010

I have a wordpress install where the oio-addons.php plugin won't activate, citing a "Fatal error" and nothing else diagnostic at all. I have no idea what's going on - I copied the plugin from another blog I have on the same server and on the other blog it works fine!

Any debugging hints?

• CommentAuthorSimon

Project Admin

You could try disabling all other plugins temporarily, in case of some kind of conflict. You could also try re-uploading it in case it wasn't copied over successfully.

• CommentAuthorjeshyr

Have tried both of these things, with no luck. :( Same error with no plugins activated. Have copied known-working versions of the plugin over several times in case of weird errors. Neither changes the error.

• CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2010 edited

Project Admin

Strange, I'm not sure what would be causing a 'fatal error' with no further explanation in the error message. What php version is on the server?

• CommentAuthorjeshyr
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2010

Php version:
    apus% php --version
    PHP 4.4.9 (cli) (built: Sep 17 2008 12:02:18)
    Copyright (c) 1997-2008 The PHP Group
    Zend Engine v1.3.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2004 Zend Technologies
    with Zend Extension Manager v1.2.2, Copyright (c) 2003-2007, by Zend Technologies
    with Zend Optimizer v3.3.3, Copyright (c) 1998-2007, by Zend Technologies

The thing is, I have other WordPress blogs running exactly the same version of WP and the same version of oio-addons.php and most of the same plugins (not identical, but probably 80% the same?) and they're even running from the same hosting account (on DreamHost), and those blogs are running oio-addons.php without a single problem!

I think at this point I'm going to wait for the upgrade to wp3.0 in a week or two and try it again then - there's not much point doing heaps of debugging now if the upgrade ends up fixing things :) I'll report back.

Thanks for your help :)

• CommentAuthorjeshyr
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2010 edited

OK, upgraded to WP3.0 now and, voila, I have an error message!

It doesn't make *sense*, but at least it's a message.

Plugin could not be activated because it triggered a fatal error.

OIOpublisher Setup Requirements:

* Open the OIOpublisher 'config.php' file in the '' directory, and fill in the database connection info where indicated
    * Open the OIOpublisher 'config.php' file in the '' directory, and fill in the plugin_url variable where indicated
    * After you have dealt with the issues above, please refresh this page

For an explanation of how to deal with these errors, please click here

In the oio-addons.php here's where I've defined the OIOpublisher location:

$oio_standalone_path = '/home/rickybuchanan/notdoneliving.net/oio/index.php';

Other settings in oio-addons.php have been left as default, because I don't use feed inserts or javascript adverts.

The only thing different I can think about between this installation and the others on this server is that this WP install is notdoneliving.net so they are on the same domain - could that mess things up?

r

• CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2010

Project Admin

What happens if you remove the standalone path completely? Can you then activate the plugin?

At least then we'll know if it's the oio-addons file or the main OIO script.

• CommentAuthorjeshyr
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2010

Simon: It activates correctly if I remove the line altogether. But if it's the main OIO script why are the other instances of oio-addons.php working correctly? What do I test next - thanks for the help!!