Purchase OIOpublisher now for just $47.

Take control of your ad space.

Click here to purchase

I think I broke OIO -- I was adding lots of different 125x125 buttons to rotate on my site in 15-button increments. Up to 60 went just fiiine. Then I changed it to 75, which also worked. Once I had added the code for buttons 61-75, though, clicking "update" pulls up the 404 page. I did some other stuff on my site (fine, no problem) and came back to OIO and the other zones are all fine, I can see them in the backend, etc. -- but when I attempt to view Zone 4 under settings (even just to see if I have 60 or 75 in there) it pulls up the 404 page also. How do I fix this (and how to I prevent it from happening again!?) Many thanks in advance.

Need help?  Quick start guide | Troubleshooting | All help topics

I am suddenly having a similar problem. Last night everything was working fine. Today I noticed that my ad images were not showing up. The entries appear in the OIO Admin panel, but I get a 404 when I click edit to see each ad's settings. I also get a 404 when I try to view the ad banner images using the full path in the browser. I'm at a loss and have no idea how to fix this!

Please advise!
    Thanks, Jeff

• CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2010 edited

Project Admin

It doesn't sound as though the two errors are related (just a bit of a co-incidence!). Just in case though, which web hosting are you both using?

Corporette - it's possible that putting 75 banners in one zone "took it over the edge" somehow. To find out, go into your web host's database browser (eg. phpmyadmin) and click on the "wp_oiopub_config" table, followed by the "export" tab at the top.

Save a backup of that table to your hard drive, then click on the "browse" tab. Search for a row that starts with "banners_4_defaults" and delete it. Then try and view zone 4 again - if it works, we'll know that was the problem and we can go from there.

jeffglasson - it's probably worth double-checking the OIO "uploads" folder via ftp to start with. Are the images still in that folder and what are the folder permissions (should be at least 755, but try 766 and 777 as well to see if the same error occurs).

If that has no affect, I would approach your web host about it, since if the images are in the right place but still not accessible it could be a server error of some kind.

Simon,

My uploads folder is set to 755 and each image within the folder is set to 644. I contacted my host since I'm also experiencing extremely slow site performance and abnormally high process counts being generated from index.php. They say that a cron job is being generated by OIO that could be causing the connections to stall "open."

I've been running OIO for a long time and have never had any issues with it. Ads were displaying fine until yesterday afternoon. I was running an older version of the plugin but upgraded yesterday evening in an attempt to see if it would fix my image display problem.

The other odd thing is that I can't call the images with the short URL or via the full path. Both get 404's in the browser. Here is an example:

http://www.diecastaudio.com/ads/uploads/1TzsVP_ad_defaultsaturdaynitro.jpg

http://www.diecastaudio.com/wp-content/plugins/oiopub-direct/uploads/1TzsVP_ad_defaultsaturdaynitro.jpg

I am also getting 404's on various pages in the OIO admin panel. I can list the ads that are active, but I get a 404 when clicking "edit" or any of the other associated links.

Thanks,
    Jeff

• CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2010

Project Admin

So the timeline of events is:

* images stopped displaying correctly (404)
    * upgraded to latest version
    * site performance slowed (?)

I just want to check whether the slow-down occurred before or after the upgrade. If it was after, then a cron must have got "stuck" somehow during / just after the upgrade procedure.

If you want to send over temporary FTP / Wordpress admin access via the contact form, I can try and get to the bottom of it all for you (I'm not quite sure what else to advise at this point). I'd like to find out the root cause if possible in case there is a more general problem that needs addressing.

Simon,

The site performance was slow when I first noticed the images were not displaying - before I upgraded. After leaving that last post I went back to the main OIO Admin screen and looked at the bottom section where it lists the cron jobs. All of them listed negative numbers like:

A Tracker Module cron is next scheduled to run in -15.6 hours, and runs once every 1 hours

In addition, there was one listed called OIOpub API that said it was scheduled to run every 0 hours. I clicked on the link to reset the automated tasks which eliminated some of the cron jobs that were listed and set the hours back to non-negative values. Resetting the cron tasks did not fix the performance or ad display issues.

I will send you logins via the contact form so you can get in and poke around.

Thanks very much!
    Jeff

• CommentAuthorCorporette

I tried what you suggested and deleted the banners_4 file. I'm still getting the 404 page when I try to view the backend of Zone 4. As a bonus, I think the ads are no longer showing up also. ("Zone 4" is on the first sidebar of Corporette, at the bottom -- 3 little buttons which (I think) all now say "Advertise Here." (sigh) http://corporette.com

Many thanks!

• CommentAuthorSimon

Project Admin

Good news first, Jeff's problem appears to have been solved. The issues were caused by a stray htaccess file that was left in the Wordpress "plugins" directory - it was causing all OIO files to become inaccessible via the web.

Corporette, can you make sure your browser's cookies and cache have been completely cleared before trying to view the affected zone admin area again? I want to make sure nothing is stuck in the browser cache.

The ads won't show up because deleting that database row removed them from the system (that's why I asked you to save a backup, so that you wouldn't have to add them all back in manually).

Arrrgh -- clearing my browser cache worked. (And it's interesting, because I've tried it on two computers today -- the first, my home computer, wasn't working, but it also wasn't working on my office computer -- and I've never used OIO on the office computer before, so not sure what kind of bad cookie it had. (I cleared the cookies/history on my office computer.))

So it now says "90" default ads -- should I stick with 75 just to be safe? Or was that totally irrelevant to the problem? Frustrating that I've lost all those html ads.

• CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2010

Project Admin

I'm not sure whether the number if ads caused it or not - I have a feeling it might have done, and the browser cache issue was just the browser failing to catch up immediately once the ads were deleted.

You could try re-importing the backup of the config table you made. That would get your html ads back and you could see whether the 404 problem occurs again.